Topics : Art
Culture - Fashion
& Hot Kannada Film News : * hourly
to Kannada Current News Section
News - Film news - Kannada Cinema Reviews - Previews - Music Chart -
'My Autograph' shines in a fortnight of Kannada flops
By R.G. Vijayasarathy, Indo-Asian News Service
Bangalore, April 17 (IANS) The Kannada film industry is facing a big crisis these days. Except for "My Autograph", produced and directed by actor Sudeep, no film has even been able to recover its cost for either the producers or the distributors.
It is a pity that even flops like "Hatavadi" and "Thandege Thakka Maga" have to be included in this list of top five Kannada films.
1. "My Autograph": The film is a big hit. A remake of Tamil film "Autograph", directed by Cheran, it is proving a draw even in the interior areas.
2. "Anna Thangi": Though the film is not doing extraordinarily well in Bangalore, it has been making waves in small centres. The sentimental film is expected to do business of over Rs.100 million.
3. "Suntaragaali": The film has completed eight weeks and is not as big flop as anticipated. Distributors in Bangalore and Mysore areas will not burn their fingers, but those in the interior districts will certainly lose some of their investment. This Darshan starrer, directed by Sadhu Kokila, is expected to do well in B and C centres.
4. "Hatavadi": The film, directed by Ravichandran who plays the hero and who has also composed music for it, had a good opening. but collections have dipped since then. The film's release before the festival period was said to be the main reason for its debacle, but the scenario has not improved even now.
5. "Thandege Thakka Maga": The film is a remake of Tamil hit "Thevar Magan", which had a successful run in many major centres like Bangalore and Mysore. The original has been telecast many a times and so has its Hindi version, "Virasat". The Kannada version is in its third week - and it is now clear that the producer will certainly incur a loss. The big star cast, including Upendra and Ambareesh has not helped the film, released just a day after the Ugadi festival.