Topics : Art
Culture - Fashion
& Hot Kollywood Film News : * hourly
to Kollywood Current News Section
News - Tamil Cinema Reviews - Previews - Music Chart -
'Thiruttu Payale' will emerge as a real winner
By Aparna Nath, Indo-Asian News Service
Chennai, May 3 (IANS) The verdict on Tamil New Year releases is out. Ajith's "Tirupathi" is holding number one position right now, but in the long run Susi Ganesan's "Thiruttu Payale" will emerge as the real winner.
The top five Tamil films are:
1. "Tirupathi" - Director: Perarasu - If Perarasu thinks he can rehash one story thrice and people will still lap it up, he is wrong. The Tamil audience has rejected "Tirupathi", a rehash of "Thirupachi" and "Sivakasi". It got a fantastic opening because of Ajith but after that the collections fell drastically.
2. "Thiruttu Payale" - Director: Susi Ganesan - The success of "Thiruttu Payale" and "Pattiyal" proves that if a film is well-made audiences will accept it. The word of mouth publicity has worked wonders for this taut thriller.
3. "AIBI" - Director: Vijay Milton - This love story from Cheran's production house is a big letdown. There is nothing in the film to lure the audience.
4. "Pattiyal" - Director: Vishnuvardhan - In spite of new releases, "Pattiyal" continues to hold on. Mainly because it is a well made, beautifully photographed film packed with some great performances and a good storyline.
5. "Pachakuthirai" - Director: Parthipan - Conscientious filmgoers may ask whether this is the same Parthipan who made films like "Houseful". But this sleazy flick, which shows actress Namitha's flesh in abundance, is a huge draw in B and C centres and producer Parthipan has made good money.